- Tue, 12:14: https://t.co/HWpymYj7Dx: TV Troops https://t.co/0JnLVot9o6
- Tue, 12:41: RT @TheOnion: Struggling Media Company Almost Desperate Enough To Hire Someone Qualified For Job https://t.co/qdH7wgYCYs https://t.co/T1lR7…
- Tue, 13:24: Dreamwidth: Going Full Literary Nerd on Moana https://t.co/Ok5qVsWY5j
- Tue, 15:13: RT @dailyskyfox: All together now! But... I’m still cool, right? Right? ;u; https://t.co/AzmoZx3FAC
- Tue, 17:35: RT @nkjemisin: Oh hell, just read the thread. :) https://t.co/jcBFqLqiqL
- Tue, 17:38: RT @GeekGirlCon: People all over the country are raising money for girls to see #HiddenFigures https://t.co/vv5u2Epw5z via @HuffingtonPost
- Tue, 18:34: RT @_ChristopherM: STUDIOS: "WOC leads don't make money in the US."... HIDDEN FIGURES stomps Ben Affleck and Mark Wahlberg movies becoming…
- Tue, 18:50: Streaming in just under an hour! Working on next week’s page.
- Tue, 19:03: RT @howardtayler: It'll be fascinating to see the unfollow stats on @Potus in three days. https://t.co/DxQThtGgdl
- Tue, 19:17: Langley struts her stuff, and can you blame her? #AmDrawing #SuburbanJungle https://t.co/uhpImTpDlv
There was a kerfluffle, back in the dim dark past, during which some self-important pedant at Wikipedia decided that webcomics were not “worthy of note” and systematically went through and deleted them all. What I said at the time, and it’s still true, was that I was actually a lot prouder and happier that Suburban Jungle had a TVTropes.org page, because as far as audience engagement in the modern world goes, that’s a lot more significant.
I haven’t looked at it in a while, but last night on a whim I decided to check it and was chuffed to discover that it’s still being updated, in particular making a note of a page in the current issue, posted in November, where Charity runs so fast she breaks the panel border. So, while Suburban Jungle‘s TV Tropes page isn’t the huge lots-of-subpages juggernaut that something like Firefly is, it is still current and alive.
This makes me happy. XD And I want to build on it. As with the Community Welcome Thread, I want to create a “third place” for people within Suburban Jungle, where people can bring their own creativity and energy to bear rather than just passively reading the comic and then moving on to the next link in their bookmarks. We’ve been there before, thanks to the networking powerhouse that was Mammallamadevil, but also because the word was being spread by folks like Hikaru, the Dirt Den Inn crew, HBar98, TK, and dozens of others.
Rekindling the fandom is one of my big goals for 2017. The semi-regular streaming (generally Monday, Tuesday, and/or Wednesday nights at 7:30 EST) is the first part of that. It’s up and running at full tilt, and either this week or next I’ll be adding a new camera so that I can record doing real media commissions as well. An even bigger piece is under construction right now with the help of several collaborators— but that probably won’t really take shape until March or April.
In the meantime, I’ll just have to keep on keeping on, and I hope you’ll do the same. Get interested, and get involved! If there are ways we can build the fandom, I’d love to hear about them. But I can’t do it alone!
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2642160.h
- Stealing From the Monster's Golden Hoard: Despite looking like a crab, narratively speaking, Tamatoa is actually a dragon. Discuss.
- Vision vs. Perception: Tamatoa has a whole song about how what's on the outside is most important, and praises Maui for his tattoos (while simultaneously seeing right through to Maui's weakness)– but he also can't focus on Moana when she's right in front of him and is fooled by her fake Heart.
- Emasculation: Maui tore off one of Tamatoa's legs. Tamatoa stole Maui's magic hook. Which injury was the more grievous one?
- The Obvious: The "Land of Monsters" might as well have been guarded by a three-headed watchdog.
Essays by the end of class. Go.
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2642424.h
- Current Location:Ginger Court
- Current Mood: contemplative
- Current Music:"Shiny" (in my head)
- Mon, 12:01: “Who let the dogs out? Me. I let the dogs out. Got a problem with that?" https://t.co/YcjPvbNH1v
- Mon, 12:04: RT @BoingBoing: James O'Keefe caught trying to bribe protesters to riot at Trump inauguration https://t.co/YEz0w4x8DQ https://t.co/tXUixRgl…
- Mon, 12:05: She’d prefer to be referred to as the “Talented and Totally Hot Leona." https://t.co/txSKeKUh6s
- Mon, 12:23: RT @Mithmeoi: I've had many requests for this one! So please enjoy! Read full version here: https://t.co/PewO8j2k7R #commission #art #co…
- Mon, 13:03: So… gonna have to start shopping for a non- @wacom tablet I guess. The Intuous Pro is hosed in Sierra.
- Mon, 14:56: Art bag 2.0. It seems so roomy! #AmDrawing https://t.co/dJDkxAoP4N
- Mon, 15:13: Now I have a box of [mumble]-ty Trias and Prismas that need a home. �.�
- Mon, 15:21: .@50NerdsofGrey Dude, who do you think INVENTED those? (See also “usenet.”) https://t.co/jnjCPJUjE8
- Mon, 15:29: RT @JayFitzmaurice: Snuck up on my iPod shuffle again today. #Rehgan #GYMTIGER #HolyShit #MyEmotions #MyHeart https://t.co/rv8n8glHnN
- Mon, 17:55: RT @graveyardgreg: Goodbye @furcon staff Lions! See you next year! https://t.co/nYiPSEVidl
- Sun, 14:24: RT @carric0che: https://t.co/lo76Ih0HAn
- Sun, 14:47: RT @EmrgencyKittens: if you're having a bad day here's a happy cat https://t.co/djU6qUslIw
- Sun, 14:49: RT @OverwatchTXT: https://t.co/VwyzvSco2J
- Sun, 15:57: Bought six more Copics and some marker paper. #oops #AmDrawing
- Sun, 17:33: I believe it’s a variation on “anime trash” or “shipper trash”, but it’s a thing I’ve ranted about myself. https://t.co/8pEFF95osm
- Sun, 17:36: It’s like hammer time, only more purple and flopsy-eared. https://t.co/OoE0PjjnTT
- Sun, 19:25: We were just horsing around that day. https://t.co/VfcmLsQoz2
- Sun, 23:45: RT @thewildestsea: I love you, pocket friends. https://t.co/HQY0DdlIeO
- Sun, 23:45: RT @TairuPANdA: pandas doing panda things https://t.co/ikRWbXxZtr
- Sun, 23:47: RT @WholesomeMeme: https://t.co/MECv2yOIWl
down 17.7 lbs from my highest weight of 319.5 on November 25, 2016
down 17.2 lbs from my starting weight of 319 on July 1, 2014
average lost: 0.13 lbs/week
next milestone: 287 lbs (10% loss)
First milestone reached. :)
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2641683.h
- Current Location:Ginger Court
- Current Mood: pleased
- Sat, 12:20: RT @SciencePorn: https://t.co/M2R3nfds43
- Sat, 12:24: And now, to draw furry art while watching the recent English re-dub of CardCaptor Sakura. Life is good. <3
- Sat, 15:03: So let it WIP, WIP it baby! #AmDrawing #SuburbanJungle #selfie https://t.co/xpxbhrAjzh
- Sat, 16:09: RT @Kitsumi_art: Sweet and happy badge for Striker Foxy :3 #FC2017 https://t.co/uVeY1XDUIj
- Sat, 16:11: RT @daveweigel: Jennifer Holliday pulls out of Trump inauguration https://t.co/zFgrUVWkkv
- Sat, 16:16: RT @MatthewSantoro: It's never too late to be a better person. We all have a better version of ourselves inside of us. You just have to wan…
- Sat, 16:17: RT @furcon: Gordon Biersch has a furry-themed menu for the con! Take a break and enjoy a drink #FC2017 https://t.co/w5peiC9nUo
- Sat, 16:18: RT @sheilamakegames: i found a source, because i really didn't want to believe it. https://t.co/hFn2Xlxn4m https://t.co/aU7F2MOHpq
- Sat, 16:19: RT @Kitsumi_art: Color sketch for Fuzzypaws #FC2017 :3 https://t.co/uf4GULmKtU
- Sat, 16:21: That’s like the third time I’ve drawn this picture, and Charity is STILL too big. I don’t want to redraw it AGAIN b… https://t.co/BJ82TCengD
- Fri, 12:00: RT @femfreq: "There is another America rising and taking action, and it is beautiful." https://t.co/HI5WWXYmLU
- Fri, 12:00: RT @WholesomeMeme: https://t.co/37f9M7CEw0
- Fri, 12:02: RT @BillCorbett: The irony is, I AM a very special snowflake. Delicate and beautiful, gossamer to the eye, but fleeting-- a unique moment i…
- Fri, 12:04: RT @robertjoseph: RIP William Blatty, author of The Exorcist - which allows me to post this @davetrott effort which cracks me up every time…
- Fri, 12:10: RT @Kazuyalegrey: I mean, look! The new Zelda is amazing. Can we distribute wealth better so we can all play?
- Fri, 12:33: RT @tr1byron: Always the truth. The comics that get the most views/likes still amazes me. Can't guess at all what folks will like. :) https…
- Fri, 12:55: RT @cxcope: that one friend who just has to give you a way better gift than you gave them. https://t.co/ViWgY0L6xK
- Fri, 13:32: Registered for @FurtheMore 2017. Alas, dealer tables are sold out, so I’ll have to try to get into the artist alley.
- Fri, 13:33: RT @EvilGalProds: "Break" the press? *Break* *the* *press*? WHAT FUCKING COUNTRY IS THIS https://t.co/hWhBsPmnTG
- Fri, 13:34: RT @EmergencyPuppy: This puppy believes that education is the greatest defense against tyranny. https://t.co/0jXLgrX7qO
- Thu, 12:08: RT @SciencePorn: https://t.co/f9On6H9JYY
- Thu, 12:10: RT @dangillmor: This is about intimidation. News orgs are starting to realize Trump declared war on journalism. Choice: Surrender, or find…
- Thu, 14:12: RT @justm3hart: Naga is the best~ #AGDQ2017 @GamesDoneQuick https://t.co/bTqcXagT9b
- Thu, 14:16: Somebody dipped Snowflake in cocoa! https://t.co/iRMWO0slTX
- Thu, 14:17: RT @iamDeveloper: #OnThisDay in 1992, 25 years ago, HAL 9000 was activated in Illinois. It was a sunday. https://t.co/uwQvKLJgnK
- Thu, 14:18: RT @foalpapers: Have called my Rep and Senators @timkaine and @MarkWarner to thank them for their support of the ACA, and urge them to cont…
- Thu, 14:24: Look at this weird rabbit. https://t.co/bxSt2klXKG
- Thu, 14:24: RT @Khenkade: Cheetah vs Snow @Saerak @coffeespots @CheetahObscura @CheetahLover_FA @miirage @homphs @KotanuCheetah @alexcheetah @JTCheetah…
- Thu, 16:25: RT @gailcarriger: Green Rider by Kristen Britain, excellent fantasy novel, only 1.99 today. (USA ebook) https://t.co/vMR3aPmUc4
- Thu, 16:28: RT @RebelsHeart: Attention @PerroMutt @christianaellis @lasrina and others https://t.co/qhCBo0b3Zk
In a fit of optimism, I arranged for a checkup, only to have the doctor's office inform me that the insurance I thought I had, I didn't, and therefore the blood test would be out-of-pocket (but reasonably affordable) and the doctor would quietly slip giving me my results via Laurie's checkup instead, since her insurance was not screwed up. (Thanks, doc! ^.^)
The results of the blood test were overall very good, except for one random elevated potassium result. According to what I've found online, the most common cause of elevated potassium is red blood cells bursting on the test slide– i.e., a false reading. Correspondingly, the doc wants to do a followup test... next month, after my insurance is (hopefully) fixed. The cause of real elevated potassium is kidney failure... but as all my other numbers are fine, that seems extremely unlikely.
Unfortunately, this isn't something I can just ignore, as elevated potassium levels are associated with heart arrhythmia (ding ding ding), and unchecked can lead to cardiac arrest. Since heart issues run in my family, and I've already had ablation surgery, I'm going to keep an eye on this.
The I's Have It
I had a followup with my counselor yesterday about inositol, which I've been taking to help with anxiety. (Short version: I think it has been, but mainly in as much as it's given me the oomph to do all that better-diet-and-exercise-and-get-things-d
My counselor got very excited about that. XD She asked me if I knew what "being an indigo" meant, and I told her that what I'd looked up online basically said, "Lead by example." She replied that was kind of a watered down version of it. Indigos, she sayeth, don't just lead by example, but come into the world to clear away old systems and old ways of thinking that no longer serve humanity, and to point the world in new directions. Thus, indigos tend to be artists, "big thinkers," or spiritual leaders. In short, we are akin to spiritual bulldozers.
That's a lot to lay on a guy who just wants to draw his silly animal comics and get some D&D in from time to time. XD
Counselor added that "there are a lot of indigo children being born right now" because we're going through a period of massive change. Not sure if this is backed up by polling data or what, but okay. But the thing that amused me the most is that she told me that there are "Indigo aura support groups."
Well, I mean, sure, of course there are, and more power to 'em. But I just had visions of people sitting in a circle saying, "Hi, I'm John, and I'm an indigo..." or purple-blue bumper stickers that say "My aura is not a choice!" Such things tickle me. But it also led me to wonder about the logistics of it all. If there are enough people out there to gather in groups, how did they all become aware of their status as indigos? Are they self-assessed? Did they all have random encounters with psychics? If you don't see auras, how do you know what your aura is?
I'unno. But it's fun to play with.
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2641378.h
- Current Location:Ginger Court
- Current Mood: amused
- Wed, 12:41: RT @girlposts: Retweet while you still can https://t.co/UD1OwTDiFg
- Wed, 12:42: RT @brittaml16: if you want to support teen vogue but don't have a lot of $$$, amazon has a 1yr subcription for $4 today https://t.co/1gX7v…
- Wed, 12:43: RT @timburrs: me when I see a dog https://t.co/PuR7iPv5JG
- Wed, 12:44: RT @valeriehalla: do: talk about things that are going wrong & possible ways to fix them don't: ominously despair-tweet about how it's goin…
- Wed, 12:44: RT @chipfoxx: Just going to look at my space pen and remember a time when science was loved https://t.co/h2OLdCySFb
- Wed, 12:45: RT @jonfavs: If Trump refuses to answer a reporter's question because he doesn't like their outlet, the next reporter should ask the same q…
- Wed, 12:46: RT @primesuspect: A nation's leader shutting down a reporter with a finger point and saying "I'm not answering, you're fake news" is fascis…
- Wed, 12:49: RT @xeni: Stand up while you still can journalists. You should be filibustering him. Where are your taxes. Interrupt him. Demand it.
- Wed, 12:50: RT @SchulzMuseum: This strip was published on February 21, 1968. #WednesdayWisdom #winter https://t.co/Po8deYhkSS
- Wed, 12:50: RT @TinaDupuy: OMG, what if the pee story *isn't* true and we're all defiling the good name of a pussy grabbing neo-Nazi Putin puppet conma…
- Otter had delicious tuna for lunch. :d
- Otter had delicious pineapple for snack. :d
- Otter is happy.
- Otter would be happier with 60º and sunshine, but otter will take what he can get.
That is all for now. Further bulletins as events warrant.
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2640915.h
- Current Location:Ginger Court
- Current Mood: bouncy
- Current Music:DDR "Butterfly" in my head
- Tue, 12:52: Cake: '80s Alternative music from the '90s.
- Tue, 13:33: YUM YUM BREAKFAST BURRITO https://t.co/zWtj6A1eLD
- Tue, 13:38: RT @Karnythia: For all the people a-okay with oppression as long as it hits the "right" target? You're a target too. Being lower on the lis…
- Tue, 13:53: RT @HuffingtonPost: Bumble bee species is the first in the continental U.S. to be classified as endangered https://t.co/7geCn8BJWg https://…
- Tue, 13:53: RT @neekaneeks: Passion Fruit: A Queerotica Anthology is LIVE! Looking for some queertastic submissions in Feb! https://t.co/Lv6LWL5vJ8 #Pa…
- Tue, 14:17: RT @GWillowWilson: Which is why the GOP has to pass laws to ensure they are properly discriminated against. https://t.co/SXT5FJqTku
- Tue, 14:40: RT @amhistorymuseum: Today in 1964: First Beatles album in the U.S. "Introducing the Beatles" is released. Our 1966 lunch box. https://t.co…
- Tue, 14:42: RT @tinybuddha: "You've been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens." ~Louise…
- Tue, 15:41: RT @egypturnash: WA state GOP keeps trying to pass bathroom bills. Let's move the goalposts & make all bathrooms gender-neutral. https://…
- Tue, 15:45: RT @cracked: The 13 Most Insane Things Happening Right Now (1/10/17): https://t.co/BQTwQQCEWK https://t.co/U7mDJ8YBWe
I am grateful...
- ...for the opportunity to apply for a job at a company where a friend works and might be able to put in a good word for me.
- ...for hearing back on a different job that is considering me for a position.
- ...for unexpected money in the mail.
- ...for all the help, love, and support I get from laurie_robey.
- ...for all the help, love, and support I get from friends and fans.
- ...to have friends I love, respect, and admire in return.
- ...to have been alive and witnessed the Obama administration.
- ...for new people coming to my stream, and returning people I haven't seen in years.
- ...to have ideas, plans, energy, and the skill to carry out my new business ventures in 2017.
- ...for being healthy, even as my insurance keeps being messed up.
- ...to have had and enjoyed a rare treat (for me) for breakfast, and another for lunch, and still ended the day under points. ;)
- ...for computers, a workspace, and art materials that enable me to create work that I and others enjoy.
- ...for my adorable cats.
There's more, like lots more, but I'm getting sleepy and want to go to bed. I just... felt like I should acknowledge all this stuff. It's kinda like one of my "three things" posts, except as you can see, it's way more than three things.
Thanks, universe. <3 Good night, and have an awesome tomorrow.
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2640804.h
- Current Location:Ginger Court
- Current Mood: grateful
- Current Music:"Dream a Little Dream of Me" (in my head)