- Fri, 12:16: RT @CaptainSaicin: You know your password requirements are fucking stupid if your database leaks and the most common password was "Fuck[you…
- Fri, 12:17: RT @staypuft: So many movies make scientists the buffoons while action stars will their way to saving the world. Ghostbusters was different…
- Fri, 13:53: RT @tunayo: I am... THE KITTYMANCER #nationalsuperheroday #ifiwereasuperhero #Sketch_Dailies @Sketch_Dailies https://t.co/Q7drfDhwIb
- Fri, 14:12: RT @mental_floss: Point Nemo: The Point in the Ocean Farthest From Land — https://t.co/E8CfThs3ey https://t.co/2vgk3b797S
- Fri, 14:12: RT @ZPD_Dispatch: An inebriated stoat motorist has been arrested for zig-zagging across Highway 9, downtown. Claims he was “evading large p…
- Fri, 17:39: RT @Veronica: Read two news stories today about women followed into the bathroom by men (and cops) because they didn’t look “female” enough…
- Fri, 17:41: RT @peeweeherman: Invention of the Week: PIZZA BOX PIZZA!! https://t.co/DPkxtrfEC0 #PizzaBoxPizza https://t.co/RQrjhAw3Ew
- Fri, 17:43: RT @lupinia: "Show the Woman Card to a man you just met for 1 patronizing explanation of the subject you got your PhD in!" PFFT https://t…
- Fri, 17:47: @Inkblitzer What were you yessing ar @Laufaeson about? I can't see their tweets.
- Fri, 17:53: "Ungrateful little yuppie larvae. After all we've done for this city!" #GhostbustersFriday
- Thu, 13:47: RT @GodsfallDC: I got a letter from a young woman inspired to finally play D&D because our show made her feel safe. I will never stop makin…
- Thu, 13:47: RT @SamSykesSwears: How to be a Writer: -write something -no not that -not that either -oh my god why are you so bad at this -fuck it -play…
- Thu, 13:48: RT @TweetLikeAGirI: Best video I've ever found on the Internet💙 https://t.co/ccU8gVpJcS
- Thu, 13:48: RT @Velux_: Why must they make this whole "being an adult" thing so hard? Can't we just be giant fuzzy cartoon animals and call it a day?
- Thu, 15:09: Gneech and @Inkblitzer go dungeon exploring. https://t.co/7qDHQIIqZE
- Thu, 15:24: Although I am not a fox, I have -played- one in #DnD. Maynard the rogue, one of my favorite PCs ever. https://t.co/gaI3h4pA6x
- Thu, 15:27: ^\\\^ He was great at hiding but terrible at finding traps. @rdewalt's battle cry became "Daaamn you Maynaaard!" https://t.co/BMpxEtQfhG
- Thu, 16:12: Dear @IKEAUSA: Please restock the Hemnes shelving unit in blue. That was the good one.
- Thu, 17:05: RT @ApprovedNews6: Approached by Reporters, Forbidden Lands Shadow Council Climbs Into Comically Oversized Burlap Sack, Is Carried Away by…
- Thu, 17:07: There's got to be a "chocolate rain" ref I can make here somewhere. @mlp_Pinkie Pie? https://t.co/B82nt2J44L
- Wed, 13:30: One good thing about being forced to move fast, I can get back to work sooner. Gotta find me an agent!
- Wed, 15:08: Signed. https://t.co/j3WRlR3bY2
- Wed, 15:27: RT @3liza: UNHAND ME GRAPE NUTS https://t.co/tzOb0yZDpy
- Wed, 15:35: RT @AnaMardoll: Ya'll. Real talk. I need my LBG pals to signal boost this. Please. https://t.co/0BdMbLPKFn
- Wed, 15:35: RT @AnaMardoll: North Carolina's HB2 got a lot of (warranted) attention. This needs to get attention too.
- Wed, 15:35: RT @AnaMardoll: Because this law only hurts the T folks and not the LBG folks, I expect it will get less media coverage.
- Wed, 15:35: RT @AnaMardoll: So we need to fill that gap. Please retweet, please regular-tweet, please talk about this.
- Wed, 15:55: Fencing Don’ts https://t.co/OjrcZG9r50
- Wed, 16:18: We're Ready to Believe You https://t.co/hxpKmRNoaL
- Wed, 16:23: But the real question is… will the Science Patrol still be so dang adorkable? https://t.co/rtznY4l5Yz
IDW's Ghostbusters (comics), which are awesome.
I ain't 'fraid o' no ghost!
PS: ETA Extreme Ghostbusters (1997), which I always forget about. Wasn't a fan. :P Ironically, I loved the Men In Black cartoon, which debuted at almost exactly the same time and EG always seemed to be wanting to emulate. I also added a link to the Wiki article on the IDW Ghostbusters comic because when it's good it's really, really good, and even when it's not so good it's still decent. And here, have some additional trailers/promos. Might as well make a masterpost out of it!
- Current Location:The Staircase (working title)
- Current Mood: excited
- Current Music:Guess!
- Tue, 14:19: RT @NewYorker: The 120-sided die you never knew you needed: https://t.co/KxLyXbnGZw https://t.co/CtMRyWOLAy
- Tue, 14:20: Ping @lupinia and @multiclass_geek https://t.co/kecOtZk9KB
- Tue, 14:22: RT @chip_uni: Congratulations, @M_A_Larson, @MMeghanMcCarthy, and @IAmSanborn on your Hugo nomination! https://t.co/Js61ediIMJ
- Tue, 14:52: Type mismatch? https://t.co/P1qE78Qlgp
- Tue, 15:04: For sale: #Craftsman / Arts & Crafts dining table and chairs set. https://t.co/fBLRXz9FF4
- Tue, 15:17: For sale: #Vintage #DepressionEra Taylor Comfortable Chair, set of four: https://t.co/Da2NNTDECH
- Tue, 15:23: Dear Millionaires: If you don’t have a bookshelf that spins into another room, give me your money because you’re spending it wrong.
- Tue, 15:24: RT @AxiomAxiom: True, @the_gneech, but a bookshelf that spins into the same room? That's just a book-themed ride. I want one!
- Tue, 15:26: Mindfulness: Sati and Karuna https://t.co/1IUcGv1u4C
- Tue, 15:28: RT @BetteMidler: If I learned anything last week, it’s that life is fragile & I really don’t want Cheerios to dedicate a tweet to me when I…
- Mon, 00:02: Roxie Gets a Piece of Tail: Suburban Jungle https://t.co/CX7ozzvw5w
- Mon, 08:03: I'd rather be writing.
- Mon, 09:58: For the daytime crowd! Suburban Jungle: Roxie Gets a Piece of Tail https://t.co/PN3RlaXjb7
- Mon, 11:29: RT @GBCountdown: #Ghostbusters opens in 81 days. Art by @alliemackie. https://t.co/3Id5hxDpGc
- Mon, 12:02: A hamburger sandwich with french-fried potatoes.
- Mon, 12:12: 16 Tons (of Stuff Up My Nose) https://t.co/egjRIXCiwN
- Mon, 13:53: The proton pack has a home. Unfortunately I found more damage while putting it away. It needs a serious overhaul. https://t.co/z8tSJS0jpK
- Mon, 13:56: While I’m at it, gonna mod it a bit so it looks better and fits in the case easier. ¬.¬ https://t.co/mlVkv2O79P
- Mon, 13:56: RT @ZPD_Dispatch: Manatee cleaners in the Canal District report illegal dumping. ZPD is investigating and reminds citizens that people live…
- Mon, 14:18: RT @pointedfox: Monday morning be like: https://t.co/0ml1KECAbt
- Sat, 13:49: So judging by the pictures, the Doctor's new companion is Peter Capaldi?
- Sat, 16:43: Sorted through 20 years of comics collection today. Keeping two boxes, selling six.
- Sat, 16:43: RT @FlatFootFox: Cosplaying Nick Wilde means that you can lazily stand around checking your phone and still be in character. 👌
- Sat, 16:44: RT @goodreads: You're never too old for a book fort. https://t.co/oa9x1YmLmI https://t.co/NYfpFCUooH
- Sat, 17:14: RT @cubewatermelon: We saw Zootopia!!! Finally!! It was really fucking good. So much going on there, so much careful thought and design. We…
- Sat, 17:16: RT @mental_floss: What’s With the Sea Monsters on Old Maps? — https://t.co/1WbGJaqSfW https://t.co/WxXYU0M4Kb
- Sun, 08:55: Squaaaad! Camp it… up!
- Sun, 08:56: OOOH GET HER! WHOOPS! I’VE GOT YOUR NUMBER DUCKY YOU COULDN’T AFFORD ME DEAR! TWO, THREE.
- Sun, 08:56: I’D SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT!
- Sun, 08:56: DON’T COME THE BRIGADIER BIT WITH US, DEAR. WE ALL KNOW WHERE YOU’VE BEEN, YOU MILITARY FAIRY!
- Sat, 09:12: RT @WendellDaily: Respect, I think, always implies imagination-- the ability to see one another, across our inevitable differences, as livi…
- Sat, 09:12: Had a very interesting dream last night that tied in with the novel I’m working on, although it turned into a “post-gods apocalypse” thing.
- Sat, 09:13: That’s not the direction I want to go with this particular book, but it was kinda cool, to see how the various gods responded to things.
- Sat, 09:13: Thor, I have to say, was kind of a jerk.
- Sat, 09:23: .@mlp_Rainbow Dash always struck me as a coffee achiever. https://t.co/ZiLmXyaoS1
- Sat, 09:27: RT @BigGreenFolf: Oh deer.. https://t.co/wYFIOr8zNz
- Sat, 09:33: If I fits, I sits. Er, I mean, ROOOOAAAAR. ROOOOOAARRR. https://t.co/AnZSaGIyMb
- Fri, 00:21: Gnite world, and have an awesome tomorrow. <3
- Fri, 09:51: RT @Hoganmag: Happy Earth Day! Walt Kelly said it first, and best: https://t.co/1DqEi3qIBX
- Fri, 10:57: Otters on Friday. https://t.co/FCq1I2xBZp
- Fri, 10:58: RT @seananmcguire: "Seanan, why are you in my living room?" "KAIJU IN NEW ENGLAND." "I'LL GET MY COAT." ...it would be identified FUCKING…
- Fri, 11:02: The Myth of the Bernie Bros https://t.co/L3J4a0MYiX
- Fri, 11:03: RT @BatLabels: MODELS DRESSING ROOM ALL MEN KEEP OUT #EarthaDay https://t.co/JkIjUqoexG
- Fri, 11:34: RT @CWF_Report: *Beaufort approves some new signage* https://t.co/6iIAePIIQo
- Fri, 11:35: RT @saladinahmed: somewhere, more privileged planets are whining that Earth gets a whole day for itself
- Fri, 12:14: Well poo. But we'll keep on moving forward. #AmWriting https://t.co/9RVTTTF5hV
- Fri, 12:24: RT @foalpapers: If anyone knows of an opera house that needs a creepy guy in a mask to haunt their secret basement, I’m looking for new opp…
Anyway! Yes, you're right, I have been a bit less chatty as of late, but that's because my world, which has tended to flop itself upside down like a giant metaphorical pancake every few months for the past several years, is at it again. This particular floppage is a confluence of several things happening at once, so lemme break it down a bit.
This is the big one. The lease on our current townhouse ended in March, and for various reasons that will wait for another day, we wanted flexibility to be able to move sometime around July-ish. So we opted for a month-to-month renewal, because our other choice was another 12 months. The owner of our house was like, "Cool, I've been thinking of selling around then anyway, so I'll list the house and aim to settle around the time you guys are planning to move." We said, "cool," and she said, "cool," and all was good.
The first person who even glanced at the house bought it and wanted us out immediately. :-`
The current owner was like, "Uh, I'll sell you the house, sure, but I have a legal obligation to the tenants." So the buyer rolled their eyes and said, "Okay, fine, give them 30 days notice and be done with it." Thus it is, that we need to move by May 17th.
As you can imagine, this has rather flung us for a loop. We have spent the time since getting this news looking for a new place to go, selling/donating/disposing of even more stuff than we did when we were selling the Hobbit Hole, and generally freaking out.
The good news is, we have a backup plan, in the form of sirfox's condo in Maryland which is currently vacant. If we don't find anything else, that will be our safety net. But we are not settled on that yet.
Things That Aren't Moving
Meanwhile, when not dealing with that, I've been cranking away on my novel writing. As of this afternoon, Sky Pirates of Calypsitania has officially received two rejections, one from a literary agent who likes my writing generally but wasn't interested in that particular book, and one from Tor-Forge, who simply responded with a form letter. All of the other markets well-suited to the book do not take unagented manuscripts, so for the time being the strategy on that book is "keep looking for an agent, and keep working on other books."
In the other books department, I've returned to Tend on Mortal Thoughts and I'm trying to Second Draft it up to 80,000+ words if I can. Some of my beta readers have given me very good suggestions in that regard and when I'm not in the midst of moving I intend to make use of them. I have also put in some serious thinking on Brigid and Greg, and might just have a direction with that to go I like after all. But that's going to have to wait a few months.
But here's the thing about writing: when I start doing that, I tend to stop doing anything that's not writing. Video games, TwitterPonies, basic hygiene, whatever it is, doesn't happen because it doesn't involve putting words on the page. A typical writing day for me tends to be 8-12 hours of phrenetic typing, punctuated by the occasional five minute stare into space while I try to solve a problem, then back to typing. When it comes time to finally hang up my keyboard at the end of the day, I'm generally completely exhausted, and as a general rule I have to physically force myself to take time off on the weekend or at night in order to prevent turning laurie_robey into a Writer's Widow.
So as you can probably guess, progress on writing means little to say on LiveJournal, because LiveJournal is not putting words on the page.
Has Anybody Seen D&D? It Was Right Here a Few Weeks Ago. Also, Dammit Game Parlor.
On the topic of the world being turned upside down, jamesbarrett, who is a major participant in my current D&D game and is in fact the only other DM in the group, has recently lost his weekend evenings to his own life's topsy-turviness. It's just possible that the group might be able to find a way to making "super late Friday/Saturday night and all online" work, but it's very iffy. Right now it's kind of a moot point because moving has knocked all chances of gaming off the map until mid-May anyhow, but even once Laurie and I land gaming as we have known it is currently not looking like it will survive.
In this context, my discovery today that Game Parlor closed back in November. I can't honestly say I'm surprised, but I am bummed, because in its heyday it was the nicest gaming store I've ever seen. The late 3.x/4E-era collapse of the RPG market, combined with the rise of online shopping and PDFs taking over the gaming industry dealt them a series of blows it would have been hard enough to recover from if they'd been savvy about it all, much less putting their hands over their metaphorical ears, going "LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING" and trying to carry on through pure inertia. On the other hand, the owners did say they were retiring, so it may have been that they only needed for the store to stay open long enough to get them to that spot, and therefore mission accomplished. Dunno. In any case, this is a blow on par with the closing of the Reston Barnes & Noble. Not the end of the world perhaps– I've got plenty of online and other options for my gaming fix– but a major bummer nonetheless.
Buddha, Jobs/Career Changes, Familial Health, All That Other Stuff
Well yeah, there's a lot of other junk in the turning-upside-down of everything. Some of them are more heavy hitters than other, and it's not necessarily all bad, but it is all change, and in the mix. Even change you like is stressful, and when introverts get stressed they tend to get quiet.
So, for those among you who've wondered why I've been a bit remote lately, that's what it boils down to. Sorry to keep you in suspense! But when there's news hashed out, I'll certainly share it. :)
- Current Location:The Staircase (working title)
- Current Mood: sleepy
- Current Music:Chris Barber's Jazz Band– "Brand's Hatch"
- Thu, 09:21: The forums can’t decide if @Roxie_T_Fox is deep, or a flake! Weigh in with your opinion. ;) https://t.co/XzVotoccnh #SuburbanJungle
- Thu, 11:07: Ten collected volumes of Robert E. Howard stories, and only a few repeats. The man was a writing MACHINE. O.o
- Thu, 11:07: I thought I’d be weeding out lots of duplicates. NOAP.
- Thu, 11:10: RT @BB8: Beep boop boop https://t.co/YdGxs9QTT4
- Thu, 11:59: RT @FoxCurtailed: Dodgin' stupid today like... https://t.co/87GgUiW62Z
- Thu, 11:59: RT @mikeyface: Our money used to look like this!?!?! We have failed. This money is baller af. https://t.co/P8QoQ0x3mw
- Thu, 17:33: RT @lupinia: I can *totally* believe that Flash is a Rainbow Dash fan :) https://t.co/SYszcsC767
- Thu, 17:37: You're a cop now, Nick! You're gonna need one of these. *badge sticker*
- Thu, 18:54: RT @ApprovedNews6: DARPA Unveils New Project to "Mechanize the Dead"
- Thu, 19:14: RT @NoRomBasic: At least we've still got @bloomcounty (Thanks BB) #Prince https://t.co/ThkFs0QR14
Greg shook his head. “Everyone talks about how sophisticated continental Europe is, but I don’t see it. I mean, can you imagine if Prince had sung about how ‘She came in through the ausfahrt’?”
“Greg darling,” sniffed Isadora. “Would you do me the great favor of putting a sock in it? I am trying to have a conversation with my daughter.”
- Tue, 12:35: OH: "I used to be pretty ritualistic when it came to Chipotle."
- Tue, 15:59: RT @latimesopinion: Don't be left out of CA's primary: the deadline to register is May 23 & listed party matters https://t.co/PpQWsOE5Uh ht…
- Tue, 20:52: Having seen a three-minute clip of it, I think I understand now why you never see Tony Randall’s Poirot movie.
- Tue, 20:59: RT @ericjstolze: Struggling with depression? Have you tried talking to someone? (Two minutes later) Have you tried talking to someone els…
- Tue, 21:46: So, according to Smashwords’ most recent figures, people just plain like long, wordy books. :-`
- Tue, 21:47: “Our top 100 bestsellers averaged 112,000 words, and our top 1,000 bestselling books averaged over 103,000 words.” Blimey. -.-
- Tue, 21:49: Granted, I’m still getting used to novel writing, and so I can probably train myself to come up with bigger plots. But cripes.
- Tue, 21:49: How do people stand reading books that are that long?
- Tue, 21:51: 60,000 words is my current “natural” book length. Which means that I need to write two books and stitch ‘em together, I guess?
- Tue, 21:54: A long time ago in a galaxy far away it was a dark and stormy night... https://t.co/R7Bs8gfpar
- Mon, 12:58: Now would be a good time to save your work.
- Mon, 13:01: RT @AlkaniServal: LOL.#Language #NSFWforLanguage https://t.co/nswDhj4Mv7
- Mon, 13:04: RT @SeiferA: It's @the_gneech's favorite kind of week https://t.co/iIA5zDNTfO
- Mon, 13:27: Ping @BlameLoomy https://t.co/28cd8KBRc7
- Mon, 16:12: RT @TheKinkyTurtle: @the_gneech Ctrl-S. Do a thing. Ctrl-S. Change a thing. Ctrl-S. Move a thing. Ctrl-S. Fix a thing. Ctrl-S.
- Mon, 16:13: RT @TheKinkyTurtle: @the_gneech I wanna commission Daft Punk to turn that into a dance track.
- Mon, 16:14: If you need me, I’m going to be curled up across @Inkblitzer’s keyboard, asleep.
- Mon, 20:14: https://t.co/dAM8V83oQh ;) https://t.co/BkCrTmHWOa
- Mon, 20:40: RT @Calvinn_Hobbes: Same https://t.co/YOYWcCnrJq
- Mon, 21:51: Such busy. Wow. Very day. Much doing.
- Mon, 10:19: RT @magrudy: always tip the buskers https://t.co/HRlAWRYvpo
- Mon, 10:19: RT @mightygodking: FACT CHECK: no opera in history has ever actually had a "phantom" https://t.co/pq879aetuU
- Mon, 10:21: RT @ZPD_Dispatch: Officers are investigating vandalism at Meadowlands High School. Coyote assistants from Northwoods precinct are assisting…
- Mon, 10:22: Protip for furry writers: @ZPD_Dispatch is a great source of writing prompts! #furry #AmWriting
- Mon, 10:35: RT @pixelkitties: Princess Bat-Winged Horror https://t.co/Zn3Xv6wkjM
- Mon, 10:40: Not the same #InkyGirl. https://t.co/nbYIqU6DB0
- Mon, 11:11: RT @ericjstolze: You can't spell "present-mindedness" without "resent-mindedness."
- Mon, 11:15: For the daytime crowd! Suburban Jungle: Roxie Lets Her Predator Flag Fly https://t.co/kyTFDlAATr