July 22nd, 2013
I honestly can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it here or not, but the organizers of another con seem to have taken leave of their senses and named me a GOH, specifically FurTheMore 2014. This year’s theme is “Pirates vs. Ninjas” (or is it “Ninjas vs. Pirates”?), so both myself and co-GOH Redcoat Cat are doing covers, with the book flipped halfway through so that each side is “the front.”
So here we see Quoth the Raven (the FTM mascot) commanding a daring raid on a feudal-era Japanese castle… and being met with some unconventional resistance…
Aside from said piece of art, this weekend was spent working on The Escape Plan, which is another thing I honestly can’t remember how much if anything I’ve said about here. But in a nutshell: I am working on going full time with my writing/comics/creative work, and part of that plan involves selling our current house (fond as I am of it) and buying a much more affordable one, as I’m expecting to take a severe financial hit as part of the process. This weekend we rented a van and moved a lot of our more visibly geeky things into storage as step one, so we can stage our house for a more general audience. Of course, it was a babillion degrees out while we did this, because we seem to be incapable of moving during nice weather. (The last time we moved, if I recall correctly, there were torrential thunderstorms for most of it. Or perhaps that was the time before? It’s all become a blur.)
Early on in this process, I had a few freak-outs. The Hobbit Hole is the first house we bought and the first place I’ve ever felt like was really “my home”– even when growing up I was shoved into the guest room because I was an unexpected child– so the prospect of losing that really hit me hard. However, as we’ve buckled down and started working on it, most of that has ebbed. Now I’m getting really excited by the prospect of finding a new place where we aren’t such slaves to the mortgage, and of course at the prospect of doing my writing/comics/art as my day job, instead of the thing I have to hope I have enough energy left for at the end of the day.
Don’t tell anyone but… I even occasionally fantasize… about stopping my writing at 5:00 one day, and saying, “Ah, that was a good day’s work. Now I can relax for the rest of the evening.” Just once! What a rare and strange thing that would be!
Meh, that’s crazy talk, I know. But it’s a fun pipe dream. In any case! We spent the weekend moving. Except for the part I spent drawing. And that’s your Gneech News report.
- Sun, 13:02: Workin' on art for @FurTheMore today. Finally. ;) Not sure exactly what all I need to do, but I'll work it out.
- Sun, 13:18: Drawing... on bristol...? With blue pencils...? And brush pens...? It's been too long, I don't remember how! D:=
- Sun, 13:18: ...I may have also packed my bristol. �.�
- Sun, 13:24: Hmm... I wonder if my copy of "Furry Pirates" hasn't been packed up yet...
- Sun, 14:01: RT @tordotcom: Watch this ARCHER & animated STAR TREK video mash-up! We haven't been this happy since the time Babou remembered us http://t…
- Sun, 14:04: It galls me that the animated Star Trek has been disavowed by Trek canon, but the Abrahms movies have not.
- Sun, 14:28: NOTE: Just 'cos Universal disavowed the animated series, doesn't mean the writers/fans did. ;)
- Sun, 14:50: RT @TheTweetOfGod: You can't believe everything you read. But many people don't even read what they believe.
- Sun, 18:18: I've become very spoilied by Manga Studio. Digital ink doesn't take anything like the cleanup work that real ink does!
- Sun, 18:18: The new version supposedly has all kinds of new color tools... I'm very tempted. Photoshop has never gotten along well w/ Wacom tablets.