- Wed, 13:07: RT @gailcarriger: Everyone else: Kill your darlings. Gail: Uh. No.
- Wed, 13:08: WANT https://t.co/2zT0XbmSxF
- Wed, 13:09: RT @levarburton: In these situations we need to be each other's helpers... http://t.co/JgxRKhRTg1
- Wed, 13:10: RT @booboobunnygirl: Please everyone be good to each other. This world sucks enough as is. Please be nice and kind and good.
- Wed, 22:08: Fighting off a cold, feel like I only had the energy to stare at Tumblr all day; but somehow got to 42,900 words anyhow? #AmWriting
- Wed, 22:10: Airship pirates are hunkered down in a base as cyclone passes by, need to figure out something interesting to happen that isn’t just noise.
- Wed, 22:11: But that’s for tomorrow. Tonight, I need sleep!
- Wed, 22:19: Gnite world. :) Have fun, play safe, be kind, as Sirfox likes to say.
August 27th, 2015
“Hymn to Breaking Strain” by Julia Ecklar and Leslie Fish
The careful textbooks measure: “Let all who build beware!
The load, the shock, the pressure material can bear.”
So when the buckled girder lets down the grinding span
The blame of loss or murder, is laid upon the man
Not on the steel– the man!
But in our daily dealing with stone and steel, we find
the gods have no such feeling of justice toward mankind!
To no such gauge they make us, for no laid course prepare.
In time they overtake us with loads we cannot bear
Too merciless to bear
The prudent textbooks give it in tables at the end:
The stress that shears a rivet, or makes a tie-bar bend
What traffic wrecks macadam, what concrete should endure
But we poor sons of Adam, have no such literature
To warn us or make sure
We hold all Earth to plunder, all time and space as well
Too wonder-stale to wonder at each new miracle
’til in the mid-illusion of Godhood ‘neath our hand
Falls multiple confusion on all we did or planned
The mighty works we planned
We only in creation! How much luckier the bridge and rail!
Abide the twin damnation: to fail, and know we’ve failed!
Yet we– by which sole token we know we once were gods–
Take shame in being broken, however great the odds!
The burden or the odds
Oh, Veiled and Secret Power Whose Paths We Seek in Vain,
Be with us in our hour of overthrow and pain!
That we– by which sure token we know Thy ways are true–
In spite of being broken
–Or because of being broken?–
Rise up and build anew!
Stand up and build anew!