- Mon, 12:01: “Who let the dogs out? Me. I let the dogs out. Got a problem with that?" https://t.co/YcjPvbNH1v
- Mon, 12:04: RT @BoingBoing: James O'Keefe caught trying to bribe protesters to riot at Trump inauguration https://t.co/YEz0w4x8DQ https://t.co/tXUixRgl…
- Mon, 12:05: She’d prefer to be referred to as the “Talented and Totally Hot Leona." https://t.co/txSKeKUh6s
- Mon, 12:23: RT @Mithmeoi: I've had many requests for this one! So please enjoy! Read full version here: https://t.co/PewO8j2k7R #commission #art #co…
- Mon, 13:03: So… gonna have to start shopping for a non- @wacom tablet I guess. The Intuous Pro is hosed in Sierra.
- Mon, 14:56: Art bag 2.0. It seems so roomy! #AmDrawing https://t.co/dJDkxAoP4N
- Mon, 15:13: Now I have a box of [mumble]-ty Trias and Prismas that need a home. �.�
- Mon, 15:21: .@50NerdsofGrey Dude, who do you think INVENTED those? (See also “usenet.”) https://t.co/jnjCPJUjE8
- Mon, 15:29: RT @JayFitzmaurice: Snuck up on my iPod shuffle again today. #Rehgan #GYMTIGER #HolyShit #MyEmotions #MyHeart https://t.co/rv8n8glHnN
- Mon, 17:55: RT @graveyardgreg: Goodbye @furcon staff Lions! See you next year! https://t.co/nYiPSEVidl
- Stealing From the Monster's Golden Hoard: Despite looking like a crab, narratively speaking, Tamatoa is actually a dragon. Discuss.
- Vision vs. Perception: Tamatoa has a whole song about how what's on the outside is most important, and praises Maui for his tattoos (while simultaneously seeing right through to Maui's weakness)– but he also can't focus on Moana when she's right in front of him and is fooled by her fake Heart.
- Emasculation: Maui tore off one of Tamatoa's legs. Tamatoa stole Maui's magic hook. Which injury was the more grievous one?
- The Obvious: The "Land of Monsters" might as well have been guarded by a three-headed watchdog.
Essays by the end of class. Go.
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2642424.html. You may comment there or here.
There was a kerfluffle, back in the dim dark past, during which some self-important pedant at Wikipedia decided that webcomics were not “worthy of note” and systematically went through and deleted them all. What I said at the time, and it’s still true, was that I was actually a lot prouder and happier that Suburban Jungle had a TVTropes.org page, because as far as audience engagement in the modern world goes, that’s a lot more significant.
I haven’t looked at it in a while, but last night on a whim I decided to check it and was chuffed to discover that it’s still being updated, in particular making a note of a page in the current issue, posted in November, where Charity runs so fast she breaks the panel border. So, while Suburban Jungle‘s TV Tropes page isn’t the huge lots-of-subpages juggernaut that something like Firefly is, it is still current and alive.
This makes me happy. XD And I want to build on it. As with the Community Welcome Thread, I want to create a “third place” for people within Suburban Jungle, where people can bring their own creativity and energy to bear rather than just passively reading the comic and then moving on to the next link in their bookmarks. We’ve been there before, thanks to the networking powerhouse that was Mammallamadevil, but also because the word was being spread by folks like Hikaru, the Dirt Den Inn crew, HBar98, TK, and dozens of others.
Rekindling the fandom is one of my big goals for 2017. The semi-regular streaming (generally Monday, Tuesday, and/or Wednesday nights at 7:30 EST) is the first part of that. It’s up and running at full tilt, and either this week or next I’ll be adding a new camera so that I can record doing real media commissions as well. An even bigger piece is under construction right now with the help of several collaborators— but that probably won’t really take shape until March or April.
In the meantime, I’ll just have to keep on keeping on, and I hope you’ll do the same. Get interested, and get involved! If there are ways we can build the fandom, I’d love to hear about them. But I can’t do it alone!
This entry was originally posted at http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2642160.html. You may comment there or here.