John "The Gneech" Robey (the_gneech) wrote,
John "The Gneech" Robey
the_gneech

  • Mood:

The Insidious Fecundity of Crap

It's a well-known and popular idea that 95% of everything is crap. However, it seems that the other 5% of many things turns out to also be crap.

However, I have found a few non-crap things to link to today, c/o Arts & Letters Daily. (Thank you, whoever pointed me at this. Was it you, dilletante?)

Jeeves vs. Pooh -- Makes A.A. Milne look rather bad, I'm afraid. Seems to have been written by a Wodehouse partisan, tho, so it's hard to tell how much stock to put into it.

Red State Sneer -- A political post and therefore not for the faint of heart. Agree with it or disagree with it as you see fit, but kindly don't comment on it here either way. Post to your own journal if you wish. I link to it mainly because I think a few folks (e.g., bearblue) might find it interesting.

Blame the New Yorker -- Interesting from a "history of comics" POV ... the core conceit is not exactly convincing, however.

Give Me Seasonal Schmaltz -- Another "Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please!" type of article, but an enjoyable enough read. Hooray for corn!

NOTE: Some of these may ask for website registration. To that end, bugmenot.com is your friend!

And finally, one more non-crap item, today's Forgotten English!

capelclawer
Horse-scrubber.
--Herbert Coleridge's Dictionary of the Oldest Words in the English Language, 1863


Bogus Bathtub History
On this date in 1917, maverick journalist and social critic H.L. Mencken published a piece in the New York Evening Mail in which he scolded Americans for overlooking the diamond jubilee of the introduction of the bathtub in 1842. Although it was utter hokum, "A Neglected Anniversary" was so convincingly written that it was widely accepted as factual -- not just by its first readers but also by dozens of writers, historians, and public officials as late as the 1950s. Mencken revealed the story to be fictional in a 1926 newspaper article, calling it "a tissue of absurdities, all of them deliberate and most of them obvious." Recalling its reception with amused astonishment, he wrote: "Pretty soon I began to encounter my preposterous 'facts' in the writings of other men. ... They got into learned journals. They were alluded to on the floor of Congress. They crossed the ocean and were discussed solemnly in England and on the continent. Finally, I began to find them in standard works of reference."

...the need for Snopes is not a new thing!

-The Gneech
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

  • 1 comment